Joint Base San Antonio
The Air Force is the leading agency and established the 502 Force Support Squadron to provide morale, welfare and recreation (MWR) support services to all members of the military across the three primary locations in San Antonio: JBSA-Fort Sam Houston, JBSA-Lackland and JBSA-Randolph.
The 502d Force Support Squadron is responsible for delivering customer-driven programs, enhancing quality of life, enriching living and working environments and strengthening the JBSA community. The squadron consists of three flights which provide community services, family services and resource management.
No matter what the operation, our Mission Statement stands firm “Take care of the JBSA community with world-class service,” sustained by our Vision “To be the premier Force Support Squadron in the Air Force.” We also believe our squadron Operating Philosophy says it all “People First; One Team, One Mission.” People are our most valuable resource and our customers are our number one priority. All employees are empowered to take the necessary actions to satisfy our customers.
Fort Sam Houston was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1975 as one of the Army's oldest installations and now part of Joint Base San Antonio. Fort Sam Houston boasts the largest collection of historic structures, careful preservation of these areas allows the post to live with its history, surrounded by existence of the traditions of excellence established when the first soldier arrived here in 1845.
Construction on Lackland Air Force Base began in June of 1941 and it was originally part of Kelly Field. Lackland gained a flying mission when adjacent Kelly Air Force Base closed. The 2 mile long runway is now a joint-use facility between Lackland AFB and the city of San Antonio. Lackland now consists of the Kelly airstrip, Security Hill, main base Lackland, and the old Medina officer training base now named Medina/Lackland Training Annex.
The construction of Randolph began in November of 1927 and Randolph Field was officially renamed Randolph Air Force Base in January of 1948. Randolph Field, a historic district located within Randolph AFB, was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2001. Today, JBSA-Randolph trains pilots on T-6A Texan II, T-38C Talon and T-1A Jayhawk.